Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast
Search  Recent News  Archives  Web   for    


LISTINGS


 •Art
 •Clubs
 •Dining
 •Events
 •Movies
 •Music
 •Stage
 •TV


7-DAY ARCHIVE


 •Monday
 •Tuesday
 •Wednesday
 •Thursday
 •Friday
 •Saturday
 •Sunday

winstuff!
Win free movie passes and more

Back to Home > 


with Alex Friedrich






Thursday, August 24, 2006

Breakfast, Day 1


Take THAT, McGriddle: Jenny
Mathisrud, 29, of Richfield, shows what's in a balanced breakfast.

Breakfast, Day 1

I'm starting my stick-binge off with the perfect rib-stickin' breakfast: pancakes and sausage.
I enter the Epiphany Diner with Jenny Mathisrud, a 29-year-old Target corporate manager. She's one of those been-to-the-fair-on-the-first-day-ever-since-I-was-born devotees. Takes off work each year. Must have a foot-long hot dog the minute she arrives.
We go to the food line, and I'm imagining a fluffy pancake wrapped around a sausage and then skewered.
We get served.
It's a frickin' corn dog. Oh, God, please don't tell me everything on a stick is going to look like a corn dog.
We bite into it.
"It's surprisingly good," Mathisrud says. "I didn't know you could do that with pancake batter."
I guess they just took a breakfast-sausage link, dipped it into pancake batter and fried it like a corn dog. But it's light, slightly sweet and not greasy at all. Genius. I smudge it into a pat of butter and dip it into a pool of syrup.
Diner manager Patty Doroshenko says the organization that runs the diner, Church of the Epiphany in Coon Rapids, serves them at its school cafeteria.
I have two, and I'm pleasantly full. Mathisrud has only had one.
What gives? Only one? The woman eats like a bird.
"Oh no," she assures me. "I'm going to get my foot-long."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is hilarious!

Are we going to see any calorie counting?

Good luck!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Pioneer Press said...

Hey, thanks.

I'm trying to collect calorie info, but I'm not sure whether each booth has calculated it for each food. I'm also trying to get estimates from nutritionists. We'll see what we come up with.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home