Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast
Search  Recent News  Archives  Web   for    


LISTINGS


 •Art
 •Clubs
 •Dining
 •Events
 •Movies
 •Music
 •Stage
 •TV


7-DAY ARCHIVE


 •Monday
 •Tuesday
 •Wednesday
 •Thursday
 •Friday
 •Saturday
 •Sunday

winstuff!
Win free movie passes and more

Back to Home > 


with Alex Friedrich






Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Instant Deli: All it needs is a bag of chips.

Day 7: Mix-n-Match Dinner

I pick up a chicken shishkabob from Demitri's Fine Greek Foods. Though not as juicy as I'd like, it's in some mildly spicy drippings. (I think there's a little paprika in there.) Like Spaghetti Eddie's Chicken Spiedie, it's a nice variation.

I head over to O'Gara's for a Reuben Dawg. This one's a hoot, and one of the cleverest dog creations.

It appears to be a corn dog made with pumpernickle batter, and it has got some crunch to it. The dog has swiss cheese and bits of sauerkraut inside of it, and O'Gara's serves it up with Thousand Island dressing.

To accompany it, I order a Naked Pickle on a stick from the booth nearby.

Bam -- instant deli.

God, this cries out for a beer.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Comrus said...

Went to the Fair today. Fantastic, but I became obsessed with "Pizza on a stick"... not too far away from Luigi's Fries (which I'm a huge fan of, even though no one else is, and even though they're so darn basic. But the sauce just makes it fantastic. I digress). I didn't try it out of general avoidance of the "on a stick" thing (not counting pronto-pups, of course), but I'm very curious. Are they good? I think you're the man to answer that question (even though you seem to be a little too much of a healthy eater for the Fair).

Okay, too many parentheses here, but again, give it a shot. They've got to be better than the hot-dish-on-a-stick.

And a toothpick sticking out of corn does count for "on a stick" for me, at least.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Pioneer Press said...

OK, now you're making me hungry again. The fries sound good.

I'll try the pizza AND the calzone on a stick, though I'm still trying to find the calzone. I'll compare them, so please check in later on Thursday.

Healthy eater? Must be my veggie cravings. Sorry about that.

I'll have another malt tomorrow to compensate.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reuben on a stick- how yummy!!!!!! Love it. Why the heck didn't you eat that with me yesterday? I thoroughly distraught I missed this O'Garas...

April

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Comrus said...

Oh, “healthy eater” as in you were a healthy eater before you started this. Clearly, you cannot be considered a healthy eater right now.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reuben on a stick was da bomb! Yum. Thanks for telling me about this, except not it hurts the next day - a lot. Oh well. It was worth it.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Pioneer Press said...

I knows mah dawgs.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home