Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast
Search  Recent News  Archives  Web   for    


LISTINGS


 •Art
 •Clubs
 •Dining
 •Events
 •Movies
 •Music
 •Stage
 •TV


7-DAY ARCHIVE


 •Monday
 •Tuesday
 •Wednesday
 •Thursday
 •Friday
 •Saturday
 •Sunday

winstuff!
Win free movie passes and more

Back to Home > 


with Alex Friedrich






Thursday, August 24, 2006

Weigh in

"You're really brave," cooed the nice woman at the front desk.

Aww, shucks. It's nothing.

I was checking into the Minnesota Center for Obesity, Metabolism and Endocrinology in Eagan. I wanted to see what would happen to my body after eating nothing but fair food on a stick for days on end. The center's CEO and medical director, Dr. J. Michael Gonzalez-Campoy, had kindly agreed to give me a blood test and consultation.

The good doc was going to test things like cholesterol and take some measurements. Nothing truly scientific, but I figured it would be interesting to compare my readings before and after my binge. I'll share the results when they come in, but I got a physical several months ago, and the results then were pretty good.

As it is, I just turned 40, stand 5 feet 11 inches and weigh about 190 pounds. I'm in great health and run three times a week. People say I'm average to slim.

The doctor later gave me a reality check: I could stand to lose about 10-12 pounds. I'm technically overweight.

Yeah, right, doc, whatever. Let's get back to the nice woman.

"You're really brave," she cooed.

Aww, nothin' to it, darlin'. But why do you say that?

"You're poisoning your body for a story."

Excuse me?

Another staffer chimed in: "I don't eat that stuff. It's garbage."

I'm informed the front desk has a wager going on how much weight I'll gain.

Heh, heh.

Gulp.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen you only with your clothes on, but you seem rather skinny to me. Must take a fattie to know one! Oh wait, I have seen you kill German Potato Salad pretty fast. Then again, you always leave me the last bite for me...10 lbs, huh? Better get running.

April

3:02 PM  
Blogger Pioneer Press said...

If only I had the time.
All this time at the Fair leaves little for the workout.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home