Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast
Search  Recent News  Archives  Web   for    


LISTINGS


 •Art
 •Clubs
 •Dining
 •Events
 •Movies
 •Music
 •Stage
 •TV


7-DAY ARCHIVE


 •Monday
 •Tuesday
 •Wednesday
 •Thursday
 •Friday
 •Saturday
 •Sunday

winstuff!
Win free movie passes and more

Back to Home > 


with Alex Friedrich






Saturday, September 02, 2006

No bagels here: Smoked salmon
Boatload: A higher form of fried chicken

Go for the sauce: Porcupine meatballs


Day 10: Elk?

So I'm not such a culinary sophisticate. So the idea of eating elk seems a little plaid-shirt.
But I go to Giggles' Campfire Grill because I'm open-minded. (And I really wanna know why such a rustic place is called Giggles. More on that at the bottom.)
I try the Boatload of Porcupine Meatballs, a new item. You get a half dozen made of lightly smoked elk-meat mixed with wild rice, sweet onion, portobello mushrooms and Gorgonzola cheese. The cheese gives them a tang. They're served on top of mashed potatoes -- which have their skins on -- and are covered in a great little mushroom-and-sherry sauce that's the best part of the dish. Swank.

I later have smoked salmon served cold with rye crackers, cream cheese, raspberry chipotle sauce and chopped sweet onion. I'm still not sure about the raspberry sauce, but then I've never been a fan of fruit and sweet sauces with meat.

I finally plunge into the Boatload of Chicken Strips with the side of mango slices. The breading contains wild rice and coconut, which is a bit sweet for me.

All in all, it was a great break from classic Fair food. Nice restaurant material.
I ask owner Tim Weiss where the heck the name Giggles comes from. He says it's his old childhood nickname.
Makes sense. But somehow I doubt I'd get very far with Chubbalard's Campfire Grill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home